Sell a home during divorce in Utah – Going through a divorce? Wondering what to do with the property? It’s an individual decision. Some people will choose to sell the house. Others will see value in keeping the house as a shared investment. You might want to buy out the shares to keep the home to yourself. The answer depends on your situation and what you want to do next in life.
Why Do Some People Choose to Sell?
- A home is a significant investment, and it’s often challenging to keep the house with one income. By selling now, you can receive cash to help you move forward in life. It’s a great relief if you carry debts or other financial obligations that must be satisfied before separation.
- For the sake of personal peace, selling is often the best decision. It gives you financial privacy that you can’t achieve while owning a shared investment.
- Most people don’t want to live under the same roof again. They don’t want to tap into the same emotions and memories, and it’s best to let go.
You might want to keep the house if the mortgage is under your name and you’re paying for the property. In that case, your spouse isn’t tied to the property, and you’re the sole decision-maker. However, most situations are different, and both spouses are paying for the house.
Preparing to Sell:
Let’s say you want to sell your house fast, but you face multiple questions:
- Who is going to find an agent?
- People will come to see the house. Who will handle negotiations, repairs, and cleaning?
- How soon will the home sell?
- What is the minimum acceptable price?
- What about the closing and legal paperwork?
You realize selling wasn’t as easy as you thought. It takes a lot of work, patience, and negotiations to achieve your goals. You need to sell by a certain date and for a specific price range. (We at Fast Home Offer Utah can help you here. We buy houses in Utah, Utah and associated areas. With us, you can sell your house fast in just 7-10 days. And we’ll give you a fair price regardless of the situation you’re facing right now.)
First things first, if you’re planning a retail sale, you need to find a realtor. Both you and your soon-to-be-ex are working towards the same goal so go with the same agent. And try to schedule 2-3 meetings with your agent before the home is listed on the MLS. You want to be on the same page regarding a few things:
- Condition of the house (repairs and costs)
- How much time can you give to the process?
- Home showings
- When do you have to move out?
With regards to the repairs, you have two choices. You can list your home as-is, or you can renovate the property to attract better offers. Consider your options and the decisions that lie ahead. Your home may need updates that will require money, time, and discussions with your spouse. An old house will likely require repairs that cost some money. Prioritize the expenses and let your agent handle the rest.
Accepting an Offer:
It can take 4-8 weeks before you start receiving offers for your house. Already got one? Now you need to know whether it’s the offer you’ll consider.
The money isn’t the only thing you need to check. What is the timeline? Is the buyer asking for repairs? Are you talking to a pre-approved buyer? You have already discussed these things with your agent. Now you need to re-focus on your priorities. Don’t go with a buyer who is willing to pay the most money but also wants unaffordable repairs, and the closing timeline is not defined. Compare offers and run the numbers. The selling price is not important.
The most important part is how much you get to keep in the pocket.
At Fast Home Offer Utah, we make the job simple for you. We buy houses in Salt Lake City, West Jordan, Taylorsville, Ogden, and associated areas. Contact us to sell your house fast before or during divorce in Utah. We’ll contact you to discuss an appropriate solution. In the next 24 hours, we’ll send you a fair cash price. Discuss the offer and let us know when you want to sell your home. We’ll work accordingly.
You will choose the closing date, and we’ll buy your home in as-is condition. No repairs, cleaning, painting, or landscaping are required. It’s a no-hassle process. Just take what you need and leave the clutter to us. At a stressful moment, we don’t want you to deal with repairs or cleaning (for a property you’re no longer keeping).
As a part of our service, there are no commissions or closing costs. We’ll offer you a fair cash price, and that will be the amount you get. (No deductions or surprise costs.)